Monday, August 8, 2011

My little old ladies with dementia.

This is my job TAKING CARE  OF ELDERLY and PEOPLE WITH DISABILITY. It is stressful and I can not get hardly a vacation but I love what I do. My elderly are part of my family, they are like my little children. My daughters are teenage girls now and I am free on giving them a bath or feeding them. And now caring for 80 years old and above little elderly ladies with dementia is like I am back having a little baby. YES. it is just like having  a 1 year old kid. I have to answer the question WHY? I have to explain why we need to eat veggies, why we need to drink,  spoon feed them and  teach them everyday my name which they can never remember, why we need a bath and have diapers to be change. When they call " Come here, what is your name ? "and give me hug and say I need you , please hold my hand and sit beside me. This make my day, one of the most wonderful day I can ever have. Not everybody will have this wonderful feeling I will always cherish.

Lesson for today:

Dementia is a word for a group of symptoms caused by disorders that affect the brain. It is not a specific disease. People with dementia may not be able to think well enough to do normal activities, such as getting dressed or eating. They may lose their ability to solve problems or control their emotions. Their personalities may change. They may become agitated or see things that are not there.
Memory loss is a common symptom of dementia. However, memory loss by itself does not mean you have dementia. People with dementia have serious problems with two or more brain functions, such as memory and language. In simple way, the brain is dying.


This is me Lorina

No comments:

Post a Comment